Monday, June 10, 2013

The Lake District

“Have you ever heard the wonderful silence just before the dawn? Or the quiet and calm just as a storm ends? Or perhaps you know the silence when you haven't the answer to a question you've been asked, or the hush of a country road at night, or the expectant pause of a room full of people when someone is just about to speak, or, most beautiful of all, the moment after the door closes and you're alone in the whole house? Each one is different, you know, and all very beautiful if you listen carefully.”
From The Phantom Tollbooth By Norton Juster


Since coming to Warwick I've become a much more spur of the moment type of person. This change has given me a number of opportunities which I cherish. This past weekend is an example of this sort of event.


On both Wednesday and Thursday evenings last week I hung out with Anni and her friends from the Risk Management Society (some are also my friends too but they were Anni's first, so I'll give credit where credit is due). They are a diverse and interesting group. While hanging out with them at Habibi's (a Palestinian restaurant in Coventry) one of the WMG supervisors who was present (apparently socializing with lecturers is common in the UK) invited Allison and me to the Risk Society's weekend in the Lake District - that left the next day. Allison had other plans for the weekend but the invite peaked my interest. Now, I'm not one who intentionally steps on other people's toes. The trip sounded appealing (it's one of the places in England that I've wanted to go to for years) but I didn't really know how Anni felt about me coming. It's always awkward having someone else invite your friend to something you're doing with a different group of friends (did that even make sense? You know what I mean though, right?). So after we left the restaurant I messaged Anni before making my final decision. In the end it was agreed I would join the trip.

The only word I can think to describe the weekend is breathtaking.

I've been to many beautiful places around the world. I've seen Petra, the Rocky Mountains, the Jordan River, Lake Maggiore, and many other natural and man made vistas. I'm not telling you this to brag but to help you understand that I've cultivated a real appreciation for the wonders of our world. The Lake District truly is one of these places. In part I think what made it so special was the weather; the entire weekend was warm and sunny. After months of consistently dreary weather it was beyond amazing to have bright blue skies and the sun bathing us in its rays.

Saturday we traveled up the coast, soaking in views of the Irish Sea and the lovely day. We then returned to our cottage and had a BBQ at the beach. The peace and glory of the place was beyond anything I've experienced in a very long time. Though there was no fog, a haze hovered over the islands beyond the cove making the world appear to be an impressionistic painting of pale pinks, blues, and violet. On the horizon lay a field of wind turbines, seemingly rising from amidst the waves. Many people took the opportunity provided by low tide to wander alone on the sandy beach, meditating on the beauty around us. As the tides rose we had a moment of panic because one of the girls was standing on a sand bar, unaware of the water sneaking up between her and land. We called out to her and as she carefully returned to the shore we watched with shock, horror, and awe as within seconds of her vacating it, the sandbar was overtaken by the sea. After a delicious meal (that may have tasted better because it were grilled on a beach) we huddled around the small fire and watch, awestruck, as the sun slide steadily out of sight, streaking the water, sand, and sky with fiery spears of light.

On Sunday we had a lazy morning, staying at the cottage until almost two, before heading out to a spot I'd found (I can't help myself but come up with a plan when one is lacking) called Ennerdale Water. It is the only  large lake in the Lake District that does not have a road running along it. We got slightly lost on our way but the confusion was well worth the reward. The lake rests snugly in the valley of the type of soaring hills for which Cumbria, England is famous. We all took the opportunity to explore and soak in the landscape - and the sun. Some climbed the bluffs, encountering audacious sheep, while others took the rocky trail to see what lay beyond the bend. For me, the best part was sitting on the rocks, dangling my feet in the cool water.

This weekend was the real beginning of my summer. I even got a little sunburned (don't chastise me, I put on sunscreen but forgot to reapply) an event that truly marks the beginning of this season for me. For the first time since I was fifteen I won't be lifeguarding and I am mourning that a little. However, I am going to make the most of not having to work out in the sun, to really appreciate the time I get to spend it in.

I have a feeling this is going to be a summer to remember and cherish forever.

2 comments:

  1. That indeed sounds like a great way to start summer - even if not lifeguarding. The photos you posted on FB were a reflection of your writing. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous idea; I look forward to hearing about your memorable summer! (I will have to say, however, that your absence at the Y outdoor pool is apparent, and you are sorely missed by members and staff alike.) ~Mom

    ReplyDelete