Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Two Words: Critical Theory *Shudder*

"'Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there? But am I talking too much? People are always telling me I do. Would you rather I didn't talk? If you say so I'll stop. I can STOP when I make up my mind to it, although it's difficult.'"
From Anne of Green Gables By L.M. Montgomery


There are two words which cause every literature student (well, every normal literature student) to shudder in horror: Critical Theory. We all know that we must critically engage with a text and we know that there are many theories from which to view a text but an entire module with that specific purpose is one of the most horrific experiences any of us must endure. Really crazy literature students voluntarily do an entire MA focusing on theory...we don't talk about them.
Sifting through my module options this summer I settled on "Aesthetics and Modernity I: The Question of Experience" for my Critical Theory course. If you're asking yourself - 'what does that even mean?' - it's okay. I'm still asking myself that question and I had the module for ten weeks.
This course is like none I've ever experienced. I'm pretty sure our professor,Thomas, intentionally creates a seminar which forces us to completely deconstruct everything we have ever thought - about anything! I've never read so much philosophy in my life! Most of us don't know what hit us and as we leave we must look shell shocked to the students who have the room after us. 
Yet, we all seem to love every minute of it; not that I can speak for the others but I'm thoroughly enjoying myself! Part of what makes the module so wonderful is the coming together of so many different and, to some extent, unforeseeable variables.
This is epitomized by the space itself. On the first day we trickled into a tiny room on the fourth floor of the Humanities Building (not sure why we were on that floor considering that the English Department is on the fifth floor, but we don't like to ask uncomfortable questions like that) and soon discovered that we were about seven chairs short. Considering that there were only about fifteen of us, I really don't understand how that was possible. After some quick problem solving we snuck some chairs from another room (I'm not sure where, I didn't ask question, though) and crammed ourselves around the tables.
A few weeks later we found ourselves with another interesting situation: One of the tables appeared to have had a little to much to drink the night before and couldn't stand straight. Up to the challenge, a small group of use used items available in the room to prop our hung-over table up (totally DI style). That day in class Thomas told us that he didn't like that we all sat in the same spot every week, something along the lines of our minds being stifled by seeing the world from the same spot every week...yeah, okay. I saw the looks of panic on my classmates faces - none of us really had any desire to collect our things and squeeze around each other to a spot where we 'saw the world differently'. "How about we sit in different spots next week?" I suggested. This appeased him and we got on with the day's discussion. As agreed, we all shifted seats the next week. To be honest, it didn't really change the discussion, but whatever.
Not wanting things to get boring, the next week we got the surprise of our day when we entered the room and discovered that we were missing half the tables...the chairs still sat in the conference table-style arrangement that had been present when there were enough tables. It was extremely interesting to see which people chose to sit with a table and who chose to sit without one. Not surprisingly, when Thomas arrived, only table-less chairs remained. With a laugh and a shake of his head, Thomas sat down and proceeded with class as if nothing was out of the ordinary. The next week everything was back to normal, as if there hadn't been anything wrong.
Thomas also had his quirks which always made the course interesting. Every week he came dressed as you would expect an older, dignified professor to dress - this usually involved a button down and some sort of sweater or jacket. Not a single week did he end class with as many clothes on as when he started. Without fail the top layer came off, usually shortly after a request for someone to open a window. By  week five one student had started just opening the window when she came it so she wouldn't have to get up during class to do it. As the weather got colder the girls in class started leaving their coats on so they wouldn't be shivering from the cold.
On the week when we were short tables all of a sudden he shifted, pushed up on the chair arms, crossed his legs under him, and sat the remainder of the lecture like that! I almost laughed out loud. Staying on topic was also always a challenge - at least what we would call 'on topic'. About seven weeks in he revealed his delight in what he termed 'essential side issues'. Considering the module topic we couldn't argue, because really, what isn't covered in some way by either aesthetics, modernity, or experience?
Overall, I enjoyed the module but haven't I clue what I'm going to argue in my paper. So far I've got a topic something about seduction of subject and object...yeah, that's it. Don't get excited, it's not that kind of seduction, I don't think....Well, I better find something to say because I've got 6,000 words to write before 17 January. Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. . . bless you my dear! But in true "Amy Fashion" I know you'll do great! Thanks for sharing this interesting episode! ~Mom

    ReplyDelete