Sunday, February 3, 2013

Adventures in Shopping

“With the exception of dessert, food is food.”
From Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich


One of the most disconcerting experiences that I've had since moving to England is shopping. Of course I knew that it'd be different than the US. I was prepared for not having good peanut butter. I wasn't, however, prepared for the other items that would be missing or different.
In general I don't really have too many usual food requirements. I'm notorious at home for not finding things that are right in front of me (to my sister's eternal frustration), so I've always learned to adapt what I eat to what I can locate. My first clue that I 'wasn't in Kanas anymore' was when I went in search of zucchini. I was at the greengrocer and spotted the desired veggie on the shelf. I went to pick it up when I glanced down at the label - it read "courgette". I examined the green item in my hand, definitely a zucchini. There are some fruits and vegetables that I'd not bet my pinkie finger on their names, but zucchinis aren't one of them. I turned to my old standby - Google (if anyone questions whether Google is going to take over the world, human's dependence on our smartphones for information should clear up any doubts). Once I determined that zucchini and courgette were the same thing (apparently courgette is French, so of course the English would call it by that name), I happily finished my shopping and headed home.
While almost every shopping trip I find something that surprises me (I've slowly accepting that I can't have such things as hydrogen peroxide or graham crackers) I still respond with shock when my British flatmates look at me with confusion when I ask about certain products. More recently I've encountered my most shocking absence in the British supermarket - they don't have applesauce! In an attempt to be healthy (well, healthier because I was adding chocolate chips) with my banana bread, I decided to use applesauce instead of sugar in the recipe. I scoured the shelves on every aisle for the elusive item, but nothing! I even went to the baby food section in a last ditch attempt to find something that resembled applesauce - but to no avail (there wasn't a simple baby food that just had apples). When I got home that evening I asked one of my British flatmates if she knew if they sold applesauce here. Not surprisingly I got the classic blank look, which (predictably based on previous similar encounters regarding my food searches) turned into a slightly nauseated look when I described the item as "smashed up apples, kinda like baby food", and was followed by an assurance that she'd never heard of such a thing in the UK. *Sigh* no applesauce for Amy.
Thankfully sugar is universal so I still made my chocolate chip banana bread and it tasted great! And that, in the end, is what really matters.

5 comments:

  1. That is hilarious; no applesauce!? One would think that is one of those universal food staples. I guess we Americans didn't bring it with us from England 'way back when.' Keep us posted on these interesting food items! ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been informed that they have "apple sauce" that is used with some pork dish...next time I go shopping I'm going to investigate to see how similar it is to American applesauce!

      Delete
  2. Why not just buy an apple or 2 and bake them into apply goodness? baking is less fussy than stovetop processing, could even nuke it into mash ;)
    PS "zukini" is not something many people on either side of the pond know much about, lol
    so the fact that you were on a mission to find this cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just stumbled across your blog and I live locally to you just outside Coventry! Whenever I've been to the US I've always been perplexed that all children's meals seem to be accompanied by apple sauce. I can't understand it! Anyway, as you've mentioned we do have an apple sauce, a brand name is Colman's and you'll normally find it in the aisle with the tomato ketchup at Sainsbury's or Tesco. It looks like this http://www.colmans.co.uk/our-range/condiments/bramley-apple-sauce/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll look there when I'm making banana bread again.

      Delete