Monday, February 11, 2013

Dog Walking

“The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.”
From Winnie-the-Pooh By A.A. Milne


From my observations of canine behavior dogs in the UK are much better trained than their American counterparts. This is, of course, a generalization so please take it as such. I will admit that I've had a greater opportunity to observe dog walking here due to the fact that my bus stop is located on the edge of an extremely popular common in which people take their pets - I wouldn't recommend going for a stroll through it if you want to keep your shoes poop free.
This morning while waiting for my bus I watch the humorous exchange between an old gentleman and his little dog (the original bus I intended to catch fell into one of those black holes that seem to abound in the Coventry bus system so I had a while to observe my surroundings in an attempt to distract myself from the bitter cold). The gentleman was everything I could hope for (see today's picture) in a Brit - he even had his umbrella tucked under his arm. At first the pair walked together quite nicely, the dog leading the way and dashing about to scare the birds. This, however, didn't last. Something came and distracted him (I'm assuming the it was a him, it fits my story better). It was that thing which distracts all of his gender - a girl.
Happily leashed and wearing a bright red coat, a beautiful greyhound arrived on the scene. On top of that, she "did her business" while he was watching. Seriously, how could he resist? Completely ignorant of her allure the greyhound bounced away with her mistress, leaving a trail of wonderfulness for her conquest to adoringly smell.
Across the field the man waited for his dog.
The little dog just couldn't get enough of the scents (and other things) left behind by his lady love, he was enthralled. All his training flew out the window.
Across the field the man called for his dog.
Something drew the sleek greyhound's attention to the dog intently exploring the field behind her. She glanced back and, seeing her admirer, pranced about to show off her grace and agility. Her mistress, not having any of it, forced the two lovers apart (though their gazes had been the only thing to meet).
Across the field the man began walking back for his dog.
At last the dog began the zigzagging journey towards his master, stopping several times to glance back at his lady.
Then my bus came and I saw no more.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was cute. They do seem to somehow know. Dad

    ReplyDelete