Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Doors

“Have you ever heard the wonderful silence just before the dawn? Or the quiet and calm just as a storm ends? Or perhaps you know the silence when you haven't the answer to a question you've been asked, or the hush of a country road at night, or the expectant pause of a room full of people when someone is just about to speak, or, most beautiful of all, the moment after the door closes and you're alone in the whole house? Each one is different, you know, and all very beautiful if you listen carefully.”
From The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster


My housing situation is better than I expected. I don't have any partying flatmates and everyone is extremely considerate of each other and our shared space. Some of us have even gone out and done things together. Overall, I'm very blessed. We are all so busy. There are days when I don't see a soul.
Yet, I know they are there because of the doors.

Every door is a fire door; sealed to protect us. Because of this each time a door opens or closes it makes a distinct swishing sound.

Swish downstairs...that'd be someone going into the kitchen
Swish next door...that'd be Nils leaving his room
Swish, click across the hall...that's be Andre or Sophie coming or going
Swish, click click in the hall...that's be someone going into the bathroom

In this house words don't signal you aren't alone but the constant coming and going swish of the doors. There's a comfort in it; knowing I'm not alone. Knowing that if I want to encounter someone...or not...all I have to do is listen for the swish of a door.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Phantom Tollbooth! One of my favorite books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I'm so glad you finally figured this all out too! Amy, I love the imagery created with the 'swish' of the door--and comforting for your mom as well!

    ReplyDelete