Sunday, September 15, 2013

In a Year

“There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed.”
From New Chronicles of Rebecca by Kate Douglas Wiggin


You don't realize how much happens in a year until you starting examining it. As I wrap up my time in the UK I look back and am amazed at everything that has happened both here and back home.





In Minnesota:


1 equals the number of:

  • Grandmothers who have died
  • Heart surgeries had by my mom (don't worry she's totally fine now)
  • Friends who's graduated from Nursing School and passed the boards

2 equals the number of:

  • Friends joined the military

4 equals the number of:

  • Friends who got engaged (that I know of)
  • American holidays I've missed (ones non-government employees get off)

6 equals the number of:

  • Friends who have had a baby

8 equals the number of:

  • Friends or Family members who have gotten married





In England:

1.40 equals the number of:

  • Late fees accrued during the year (not bad!)

5 equals the number of:

  • Essays I've had to write and submit

10 equals the number of:

  • Countries I've visited

23 equals the number of:

  • Friends from Minnesota who I have seen in Europe

54 equals the number of:

  • Hours Skyping with friends and family back home

95 equals the number of:

  • New friends on Facebook (some of which are from back home and some of which have been un-friended since)

107 equals the number of:

  • Books checked out of the library (not including the ones Anni checked out for me because I'd maxed my limit on my own account)

366 equals the number of:

  • Days since I've stepped foot on American soil (crazy, right?)

411 equals the number of:

  • Blog posts I've done

36,829 equals the number of:

  • Word I've submitted for assignments
When put this way, I'm blow away by everything that's been accomplished and has changed during the last 12 months. I can't wait to see what the next 12 will bring!

5 comments:

  1. i'm entertained that the writing lady wrote a reflection using numbers... easily understood by this math lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, sometimes numbers just say it best!

      Delete
  2. Amy - that was fun. What a great deal has changed for your friends. And we all miss you back here, your room is ready, your bathroom is almost ready and my big screen TV awaits your nimble fingers. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking "Oh, I wish I could have been one of those friends Amy saw while traveling in Europe!" And then I realized that's exactly what happened. :) The Paris trip was just so natural it didn't seem like anything different from the norm for us! (and yes, I'm shamelessly going through and reading the past couple months of your blog that I've been terrible at keeping up with. What else am I supposed to do on a Wednesday morning at YEAH? Actually work? Haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I am happy everything has been so wonderful... However, speaking as someone whose wedding you missed... you were missed! :) I pray God has grand things in store for your next 12 months! :)

    ReplyDelete