Thursday, October 18, 2012

20 Minute Log-in Computer

“When the light turns green, you go. 

When the light turns red, you stop. 

But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?”

From A Light in the Attic By Shel Silverstein


One of the major differences I have encounter while pursuing my degree at Warwick is the extreme lack of paper information. They vaunt their implementation of technology. I have a paper copy of the reading list for one of my four courses (not a syllabus). Even then she seemed to apologize for printing something by only giving us a half sheet! This general lack of hard documentation has caused difficulty as I am forced to scavenge the internet for the information I need. I have nine different pages bookmarked on the university website to save time because they are buried so deep within the pages that I fear they will be lost if I attempt to search for the information again. This dichotomy of technology and laborious processes within the university culminated in a battle between myself and the library computers; who won? You decide.


After catching the bus to Uni in a rather quick fashion, I arrive on campus with forty minutes until my class. Desiring to make the most of my time, I headed to the library so I could print a form that needed to be turned in by the end of the week. From experience I knew that the computers in the library filled quickly, so I headed to the computers labeled "20 Minute Log-in Computers" which allow students who just want to jump on and off quickly to do so with little to no wait time.
Clambering up on to the stool I typed in my username and password, and hit enter. Glancing down at my watch I noted I now had thirty minutes until class.
The screen switch to saying "Welcome" and the Spinning Wheel of Death (a term coined while I worked at the Y for that blue/green or rainbow waiting wheel) and I waited...and waited...Seven minutes later it had finally logged in. At one point the monitor gave up and went to sleep. During this time two people had come and gone from the computer next to me.At last the computer screen switched to the Windows background. Finally...but, hold on, there were no programs appearing. Suddenly the computer switched screens. "Logging off" it told me. I'd not touched a thing (other than waving the mouse around a little bit).
"Click Control + Alt + Delete to Log on" - I followed the directions on the screen, typed in my username and password, and hit enter...and waited. I now had twenty minutes until class.
Five minutes passed before the Windows background finally reappeared. Then a warning screen popped up "system failed to connect with network." I took a deep breath, hit "troubleshoot," and waited. Issue "No network connection," statue "detected," - "unable to resolve."
Debating throwing the computer on the floor and going after it Office Space style, I controlled my self and logged out.
I had effectively used the time before class and with great success do not print off the single page I needed to turn in to the English Department.
As I was leaving the library to go to class I realized the irony of my situation; I had just spent twenty minutes attempting to log on to a "20 Minute Log-in Computer."
I think that the computer network is attempting to cause my mental breakdown.

2 comments:

  1. Amy - great story about the computer - Sorry It won!!!. What do you mean check to see if the bus rider is talking on the phone? They have a habit of talking to themselves?? Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some CRAZY people who ride the bus! 95% are normal but you have to really be careful when scoping out a seat that you don't sit down next to someone with too much "local flavor."

      Delete