Monday, October 29, 2012

Pros and Cons

"You set your heart too much on things, Anne," said Marilla, with a sigh. "I'm afraid there'll be a great many disappointments in store for you through life."
"Oh, Marilla, looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them, exclaimed Anne. "You mayn't get the things themselves; but nothing can prevent you from having the fun of looking forward to them. Mrs. Lynde says 'Blessed are they who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed.' But I think it would be worse to expect nothing than to be disappointed."
From Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 


After three weeks of training and trials, the decision for who would make the Rowing team finally arrive and...(drum roll, please)...I didn't make it. I know, sad face.
However, I'm one who believes that every events has its good and bad aspects. To help me see the best in my sad situation I made a classic Pros/Cons list of not making the team:




Cons
  1. I'll have to find a different way to get exercise this year
  2. I won't be able to develop my skills at a sport which I find fun and challenging
  3. The people in rowing seem nice and I will probably not make friends with them now
  4. I won't get to go to the training camp in France
  5. I won't get to experience the bonding traveling with a sports team creates

Pros
  1. I will have more flexibility in when/what I do to workout
  2. My schedule will be more free to travel on weekends to places I want to go in Europe
  3. I probably wouldn't have had the time to commit to studying to get the grades I know I'm capable of
  4. I can take advantage of other campus community and travel opportunities that would have otherwise conflicted with my training/competition schedule
  5. I can spend the money which I would have spent on rowing to do other things with my friends
Doesn't that make it look better? It was fun while it lasted but I feel that it is important to look ahead and find new and exciting opportunities, not focus on the coulda beens. 

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry (on one hand) and relieved (?) on the other hand--in consideration of and in agreement with all the "Pros" listed above. And you exposed a lot of us to a sport (and its equipment) that we knew nothing about before your adventure into rowing (like those funny boats!) So for this, we all thank you (we think!). ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am saddened it didn't happen - but the challenge was fun. I like your Pro list - more flexibility and you make friends easily anyway. Hugs Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can go cheer your team on when they're in town!

    ReplyDelete