Saturday, October 6, 2012

School: Week 1

“I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever.”
From The Importance of Being Earnest By Oscar Wilde



Being a student, what does that mean? On many levels I never stopped being a student in the intermittent years between my undergraduate studies and now. As a teacher and supervisor I felt everyday some new thought or idea came into my world. Yet here I am, again a formal “student,” and I find myself struggling not with the content but the form my education takes. My questions are unending.
For example, what is a “timetable” and why didn't I get it before the first day of class? Why aren't the professors giving me a syllabus that breaks down every detail of their expectations and my responsibilities for the term? There are only 10 weeks in the term? You would prefer that I read the text in its original French but if I can’t I should try to find a good translation?
I am at sea but slowly am finding my sea legs and discovering I’m not the only sailor on this ship struggling to stand upright (we will leave walking for a later week. That might be asking too much to task of us).

My first week of classes has been a roller coaster of all things difficult and rewarding.
Monday was “Writing for Children and Young People.” We started an hour late because the MA Creative Writing induction went over time - they had our room as well as our instructor held hostage. During this class the reality of being a student struck me. For the first time in almost 7 years I was responding to prompts instead of pulling teeth to try and get something out of another person.
Thursday I attended my first Critical Theory class – Aesthetics & Modernity 1: Experience. Really, what does that even mean! Even after reading the class description I hadn't any idea! Great start to my total understanding of the coursework ahead of me. Yet I came out of the class with the scholarly glow I had dreamt of as I applied for grad school almost a year ago. Most of what was said in class was completely theoretical and absolutely no concrete conclusions were reached, but I loved every minute of it. Those 120 minutes reminded me why I enjoy discussing literature.
Friday in my Introduction to Pan-Romantics course six students squeezed into a professor's office and worked to define what the British Romantics were and giggled over jabs Mary Wollstonecraft shot in Edmund Burke’s direction. How dorky were we? Yet I felt akin to those around me as we basked in the new understanding acquired as we launched into familiar waters, seeking new depth as we explored the literature together.
All in all it was a week to remember.
The icing on my cake, however, was neither educational nor intellectual. They finally put the router in our house so I have internet! Plus, plus my phone is finally set up! Hallelujah, happy day. Everything is right in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment